BUMP! POP! BOOM! You know exactly what that sound means. Potholes tend to form when moisture collects in small holes and cracks in the road surface. As temperatures rise and fall — as they have this winter — the moisture expands and contracts, ultimately resulting in broken up pavement, which is then continually impacted by the weight of passing cars.
An ever occurring hazard during your commute and travels, potholes wreak havoc not only on America’s roadways, but to driver’s vehicles as well. Often treated as an annoyance instead of a hazard, these craters can take a huge chunk out of your wallet if you’re not careful. AAA reports that damage from potholes reaches $3 billion per year in the United States. Damage includes tires, rims, suspension and even body damage. Yikes! What can we do to prevent this happening while we are driving?
Be aware. Sounds simple right? But keeping your eyes on the road in front of you, as well as those around you, can help avert a crisis. If you notice odd driving behavior or swerving from other drivers, know they could be trying to avoid a pothole or other road hazard. Maintaining awareness of your surroundings will allow you to react calmly and safely, avoiding overcorrection.
If you can’t avoid hitting a pot hole, first make sure you slow down. Keep your tires aligned to drive straight through it rather than turn into it to minimize potential threats. Speeding or braking hard going over a pothole will expose you to damage that could leave you on the side of the road. Low speed and control are the two best ways to prevent damage.
Although we want you to get to your destination safely, we realize that at times, potholes can be a frustrating hazard to work through. If you have damage or a concern, call our Body Shop at 859-260-2624. We look forward to having one of our technicians inspect the damage and guide you through the repair process. Experience the difference at Don Jacobs.
Purchasing a vehicle is a huge decision. What do you love about your current vehicle? What would you change? How much do you want to spend? How much room do you need? Although these are all important questions to answer, once you have that narrowed down, one of the most important steps to take is a joy ride in the vehicle you’re looking to purchase.
The automotive industry is evolving at a rapid pace and the differences between year to year models are often vast. While you will have several boxes you need to check before you move forward with a purchase, it is imperative to know how the vehicle handles with you behind the wheel. A test drive allows you to pay attention to how everything about the vehicle feels to you, ease of use, technology you find important and if you can see yourself enjoying it for years to come.
Here are a few of our best tips on capturing the joy in your test drive:
- Comfortability: Can you get in and out with ease? Are the seats comfortable for you both short and long trips? Is there enough leg and head room for you and your passengers? Comfortability is subjective and no one can determine it but you!
- Lifestyle Needs: Do you have hobbies? Where do you see your life, needs or family in the coming months? Does the cargo space allow for all the items that you may need? Take into consideration what all you may take with you on trips. If you have or are planning on small children, how will car seats fit? Thinking about what you will be using this vehicle for helps you ensure it is the best fit for you.
- Technology: Navigating through menus and connecting to your devices should be not only intuitive, but easy for you. Experience the features your vehicle boasts rather than just taking them at face value. Ask yourself if you need the technology offered? Or do you want more? Technology comes with tons of options, experiencing and using make for an easier decision.
- Drivability: As a part of your joy ride at Don Jacobs, explore how the vehicle handles in a variety of situations; from the higher speeds of a New Circle, to the calmer neighborhood and residential road of Lexington, Kentucky. How do you feel when accelerating or braking? Is the cabin noise quiet enough for you? Is the steering responsive? Do you feel comfortable navigating and parking the vehicle?
The Internet has provided endless amounts of information about vehicles and can often times make our valued customers feel like they know the perfect vehicle. That may be true, but there is joy in truly driving and discovering a new to you vehicle. Don’t regret a big decision but omitting a crucial step! Schedule your reservation by calling Don Jacobs Guest Services at 859-276-3546 and be one step closer to feeling confident in your purchase.
The 2020 BMW X5 is here and ready to lead you through vacation rides, long drives, and everyday lives. With the latest and greatest from Germany, the X5 is ready to perform for any task you have.
Powered by the in-line 6-cylinder engine in the xDrive40i, the X5 packs a lot of performance under the hood. Coupled with its Dynamic Damper Control, the X5 can change the suspension settings for your drive on the fly. Sensors monitor the movement of your wheels over 400 times per second and adjust the shock absorbers to give you the best handling and smooth ride possible, even on rough roads. The X5 is ready to take you wherever you need to go.
With the new X5, the ability to stay in the know on your journey has never been easier. News updates, live traffic reports, weather conditions and vehicle settings are available with the swipe of your finger as part of the iDrive operating system. You can customize, much like a smartphone, by choosing the applications that work best for your wants and needs. The Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster and Central Information Display compliment iDrive though easy to access navigation, entertainment and safety features. Stay aware of where the road leads with a 360-degree camera that allows you to see your surroundings from every angle. With an onsite BMW genius to assist with set up of these amazing features, utilizing all the 2020 BMW X5 has to offer has never been easier.
You only live once, so what are you waiting for? Stop by Don Jacobs BMW to take your new X5 for a spin today. You can call to schedule a test drive or click the link below to schedule. We can’t wait for you to experience the Ultimate Driving Machine.
The harshest time of the year for vehicles has arrived here in Central Kentucky. Freezing temperatures may lead to some unexpected issues for drivers. Never fear, we are here to help! Simply plan ahead for icy conditions with a service reservation at Don Jacobs and at home preparations before you’re sliding off the road.
Prep with Service
The best move you can do right now is scheduling a service reservation at one our three service centers here in Lexington[link]. When you bring your vehicle in, we will be able to address any of your regular maintenance needs:
- Oil change & Oil Filter
- Rotate, balance, align tires
- Inspection of belts, hoses, tires, heating systems, defroster, four-wheel drive system, and battery
On top of that, we will also perform a visual multi-point inspection to identify potential concerns in the coming months. Are your wipers showing signs of wear and tear? Or do you need to swap out your tires for some that can better tackle icy roads? With our parts center on site, we have you covered with any supplies you may need.
Prep at Home
Making sure your vehicle is up to snuff goes beyond a service reservation though. Here are some additional tips that you can do from home:
- Monitor tire pressure – We talked previously about how colder weather may bring lower tire pressures. It’s important to check this once a month even after your normal service reservations. Many newer models allow you to check this out with a touch of a button.
- Apply wax to your vehicle – Road salt and dirt from snow plows will be spraying all over your vehicle in the winter. Before the cold weather starts, apply a fresh coat of wax to protect it from these conditions. Be sure to focus on the lower parts of the vehicle: behind the wheels, quarter panels, and the front grille.
- Check headlights and brake lights – A given though the year for when you drive at night, these lights become even more important during the winter months. With heavy snow fall obscuring visibility, your lights will help alert other drivers of your presence when they normally can’t. Are the covers hazy and discolored? Kits are available to make them as good as new!
Want to get ready for winter? Call Guest Services at 859-276-3546 or click here to schedule a reservation to have your vehicle inspected and serviced by our team of certified technicians in one of our service centers. We can’t wait to see you soon!
With the New Year, changes can be embraced with open arms. In 2020, Volkswagen has announced that their famous America’s Best Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty would be getting a facelift.
Starting with 2020 models, the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty will be transitioning from the 6 years or 72,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first) to 4 years or 50,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first). The updated warranty will also include the 10,000 and 20,000 mile maintenance services. Even with the tweak to the warranty, this is still one of the best warranties in America!
If the longer warranty appeals to you a bit more than the newly included maintenance, come see us before these changes take place! We still have 2019 inventory- but it isn’t lasting long! With the Sign Then Drive event currently happening, all you need to drive off the lot with a new Volkswagen is practically just your signature. Don’t miss out- schedule your reservation today to see all available options.
If you have any questions about these changes, feel free to reach out to us. We’re happy to help and keep you driving happy!
The Holiday season is upon us in the Bluegrass! For many, this is one of the most wonderful times of the year. However, for some local families, the holidays bring stress and worry. To help the children in our community, Don Jacobs is partnering with The Toy Chest Children’s Charity for the month of December!
The Toy Chest is a children’s charity that provides toys, books, clothing and other items vital to the healthy development of children in under-served areas around Kentucky. They are committed to mentoring and fostering service values in all children, while providing them a platform to serve their peers.
You can help Don Jacobs support the Toy Chest in two different ways this month. If you are coming to see us for service, you can make a donation during your next visit. Don Jacobs will match your donation up to $25! Please call Guest Services at 859-276-3546 to schedule.
If you ready for holiday travel, but still want to help, consider dropping new, unwrapped toys off at Don Jacobs during our toy drive. We have 3 convenient locations throughout our dealership to make it easy! We will be accepting toys through December 20, so come see us soon!
In the great words of Dr. Seuss, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” Partnering with the Toy Chest Children’s Charity makes it possible for over 450 kids to wake up to new toys, clothes and books every Christmas morning. We look forward to doing our part to help brighten up this holiday season for children across the Bluegrass!
If April showers bring May flowers, what does the fall and winter bring? Well, tire pressure lights of course! All jokes aside, this time of year you may notice your tire pressure light is demanding attention.
Often times, this isn’t anything to be overly concerned about and can be blamed on fluctuations in weather. Living in Kentucky, we can experience all 4 seasons within a day. That sure does make your tire pressure sensors go wild!
A good rule of thumb is that if you wake up and its 10+ degrees different than the day before; that could alter the pressure in your tires that triggers your tire pressure alert. While this isn’t always cause for immediate alarm, we do have a quick fix to ensure nothing serious is going on!
We encourage our valued customers to stop by any of our service lanes- no reservation needed! We are happy to check your pressure, ensure they are within a normal fluctuation, fill the air if necessary and reset your light. We will get you taken care of as quickly as possible!
If you do make the recommended adjustments and the light keeps coming on or the fluctuation is outside the norm, we are pleased to make you a reservation. The safety of our loyal customers and their vehicles is most important to us! We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with any lights, concerns or maintenance needs. Call Don Jacobs Guest Services at 859-276-3546 to schedule today.
The question of whether you want to lease or finance a vehicle is often the biggest dilemma our customers face when they walk into Don Jacobs. Not sure if you want to buy or lease? We’ve compiled a list of pros and cons to help you make your decision.
BUYING A VEHICLE
- Eventual Ownership: We all know buying a vehicle is quite an investment! In the end, you will have ownership of, ability to modify at will, while you keeping your vehicle as long as you want.
- No Mileage Limit: Love to travel? You can drive as many miles as you’d like!
- Control over Vehicle: You have total control over when you want to sell your vehicle, upgrade or trade.
- Pay Off: Once you pay off your vehicle, it’s yours! The ability to not have a payment monthly is a huge pro for many.
- Monthly Payments: You may need to have a decent down payment to minimize monthly payments on a purchased vehicle.
- Unpredictable Resale: There are brand and models that tend to have better resale values, which is hard to predict. This is a consideration during research! Always keep in mind that other factors such as high mileage, depreciation or accidents can lower the trade-in or resale value of your vehicle.
- Maintenance Expenses: Once the initial limited warranty period is over, you may want to purchase an additional warranty to cover unexpected repairs that could arise over the course of extended ownership.
- Flexibility: If your needs change and you like to upgrade often, buying often doesn’t make financial sense.
If you love the ability to pay off your vehicle with intent for extended usage, have access to savings to keep a reasonable payment or know you will drive a lot of miles; we would recommend considering buying.
LEASING A VEHICLE
- Down Payment: Not a lot of savings? Many times, with a lease you have a choice of not giving a down payment.
- Maintenance Expenses: While with a lease or purchase you have regular maintenance expenses, during a lease the manufacturer’s warranty will allow peace of mind to avoid large repairs.
- Resale: You don’t have to worry about depreciation or even an accident causing value loss, as you can turn your vehicle in at the end of lease.
- Flexibility: Once you are down with your lease term, you can upgrade to a newer model or change models depending on your needs, easily.
- Mileage: At time of lease, you will set mileage for the vehicle. There will be financial penalties going over the allotted miles.
- Insurance: Higher premiums may occur, as you could be required to obtain higher limits of coverage.
- Ownership: At the end of the lease, you do not own the vehicle. If you choose to purchase, at times, this can be a bit more expensive than buying initially.
If you love to upgrade vehicles every 2-3 years, don’t drive many miles, don’t want to tie your funds up in a huge down payment and want lower monthly payments; leasing might be a great way to go!
For the past two years, BMW has assisted in providing over 2.4 million meals to Feeding America to help the 1 out of every 8 Americans struggling with hunger. This year, we continue the fight against hunger with the BMW Drive to End Hunger event and you can help! After all, the only thing better than getting behind the wheel of The Ultimate Driving Machine is helping those in need.
From November 12th through the 16th, if you visit Don Jacobs BMW and go on a test drive, not only will you get a $1,000 credit towards the purchase/lease of a new BMW, you will also fund 200 meals for Feeding America. Everyone wins and all it takes is a test drive. Fill out the form here to take part.
Luckily if you want to do more locally, we have that option as well! This month, Don Jacobs is partnering with God’s Pantry Food Bank. We are taking food donations all month long at drop-off bins located around the dealership, along with our service donation match program. Not sure what is most needed? Their greatest needs include: breakfast foods, canned meat, canned fruits, canned vegetables, pasta and rice, shelf stable milk, and soups.
To add to the $1,000 credit towards the purchase/lease of a new BMW, we also want to take the time to thank you customers. We wouldn’t be here for almost 50 years without your loyal patronage. On Friday, November 15th, we are having a Customer Appreciation Event. Food, music, BMWs- what more could you ask for to kick off this holiday season? Giveaways from Kendra Scott, Jeff Ruby’s and Logan’s of Lexington will be up for grabs if you can guess how many donations fit in our BMW X7 model. With incredible storage space, we look forward to using your donations to support an amazing cause and give you the opportunity to win. Want to attend? You can RSVP by contacting us here.
There’s a chill in the air and nights are growing longer. The spookiest night of the year has finally arrived! With pumpkins painted and everyone dressed for the occasion, we are prepared for some Halloween frights. Stop on by today to see the full assortment of painted pumpkins across the dealership.
From everyone in the Don Jacobs Family, Happy Halloween!
Don’t forget that Daylight Savings Time ends this coming Sunday at 2:00am! Fall back your clocks and enjoy an extra hour of sleep!