Archive for January, 2020
As temperatures start to drop this winter season, driving may become more hazardous and can tend to be prone to more accidents. Research by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety reports that bad weather and sloppy road conditions are a factor in nearly half a million crashes and more than 2,000 road deaths each winter! If you have to drive in these conditions, here are some general tips to help keep you safe wherever your travels may take you:
- Only drive when or if necessary. Minimize your time on the road and the unpredictability the conditions lend to roadways. If there is a winter weather system coming through your area soon, prepare by stocking up on supplies beforehand. Avoiding unnecessary risk is always the best bet!
- Drive slower and avoid stopping when you can. Adjust your speed due to lower traction while on wet or icy roads. Sudden or drastic changes in speed may have adverse effects on your driving, so take your time when choosing to accelerate and decelerate. Slowly roll towards a traffic light or stop sign; you might save yourself from spinning your tires or losing control.
- Do not use Cruise Control. This is often overlooked, but don’t leave anything out of your own control when you’re dealing with slick roads!
- Be prepared if you choose to travel. Keep cold-weather gear in your car, along with food, water and an emergency kit can be huge assets if you get stuck in cold weather conditions. Keep your exhaust pipe clear of snow, ice, or mud, tie something bright to the vehicle and turn on hazard lights to increase visibility. Finally, conserve your fuel as much as possible!
Before inclement weather conditions arrive, it’s always a good idea to have your vehicle serviced and make some preparations at home. You can read our recommendations here. Make sure you schedule an appointment with our guest services department at (859) 276-3546 to ensure your vehicle is ready for any adventure you need to tackle.
BUMP! POP! BOOM! You know exactly what that sound means. Potholes tend to form when moisture collects in small holes and cracks in the road surface. As temperatures rise and fall — as they have this winter — the moisture expands and contracts, ultimately resulting in broken up pavement, which is then continually impacted by the weight of passing cars.
An ever occurring hazard during your commute and travels, potholes wreak havoc not only on America’s roadways, but to driver’s vehicles as well. Often treated as an annoyance instead of a hazard, these craters can take a huge chunk out of your wallet if you’re not careful. AAA reports that damage from potholes reaches $3 billion per year in the United States. Damage includes tires, rims, suspension and even body damage. Yikes! What can we do to prevent this happening while we are driving?
Be aware. Sounds simple right? But keeping your eyes on the road in front of you, as well as those around you, can help avert a crisis. If you notice odd driving behavior or swerving from other drivers, know they could be trying to avoid a pothole or other road hazard. Maintaining awareness of your surroundings will allow you to react calmly and safely, avoiding overcorrection.
If you can’t avoid hitting a pot hole, first make sure you slow down. Keep your tires aligned to drive straight through it rather than turn into it to minimize potential threats. Speeding or braking hard going over a pothole will expose you to damage that could leave you on the side of the road. Low speed and control are the two best ways to prevent damage.
Although we want you to get to your destination safely, we realize that at times, potholes can be a frustrating hazard to work through. If you have damage or a concern, call our Body Shop at 859-260-2624. We look forward to having one of our technicians inspect the damage and guide you through the repair process. Experience the difference at Don Jacobs.
Purchasing a vehicle is a huge decision. What do you love about your current vehicle? What would you change? How much do you want to spend? How much room do you need? Although these are all important questions to answer, once you have that narrowed down, one of the most important steps to take is a joy ride in the vehicle you’re looking to purchase.
The automotive industry is evolving at a rapid pace and the differences between year to year models are often vast. While you will have several boxes you need to check before you move forward with a purchase, it is imperative to know how the vehicle handles with you behind the wheel. A test drive allows you to pay attention to how everything about the vehicle feels to you, ease of use, technology you find important and if you can see yourself enjoying it for years to come.
Here are a few of our best tips on capturing the joy in your test drive:
- Comfortability: Can you get in and out with ease? Are the seats comfortable for you both short and long trips? Is there enough leg and head room for you and your passengers? Comfortability is subjective and no one can determine it but you!
- Lifestyle Needs: Do you have hobbies? Where do you see your life, needs or family in the coming months? Does the cargo space allow for all the items that you may need? Take into consideration what all you may take with you on trips. If you have or are planning on small children, how will car seats fit? Thinking about what you will be using this vehicle for helps you ensure it is the best fit for you.
- Technology: Navigating through menus and connecting to your devices should be not only intuitive, but easy for you. Experience the features your vehicle boasts rather than just taking them at face value. Ask yourself if you need the technology offered? Or do you want more? Technology comes with tons of options, experiencing and using make for an easier decision.
- Drivability: As a part of your joy ride at Don Jacobs, explore how the vehicle handles in a variety of situations; from the higher speeds of a New Circle, to the calmer neighborhood and residential road of Lexington, Kentucky. How do you feel when accelerating or braking? Is the cabin noise quiet enough for you? Is the steering responsive? Do you feel comfortable navigating and parking the vehicle?
The Internet has provided endless amounts of information about vehicles and can often times make our valued customers feel like they know the perfect vehicle. That may be true, but there is joy in truly driving and discovering a new to you vehicle. Don’t regret a big decision but omitting a crucial step! Schedule your reservation by calling Don Jacobs Guest Services at 859-276-3546 and be one step closer to feeling confident in your purchase.
The 2020 BMW X5 is here and ready to lead you through vacation rides, long drives, and everyday lives. With the latest and greatest from Germany, the X5 is ready to perform for any task you have.
Powered by the in-line 6-cylinder engine in the xDrive40i, the X5 packs a lot of performance under the hood. Coupled with its Dynamic Damper Control, the X5 can change the suspension settings for your drive on the fly. Sensors monitor the movement of your wheels over 400 times per second and adjust the shock absorbers to give you the best handling and smooth ride possible, even on rough roads. The X5 is ready to take you wherever you need to go.
With the new X5, the ability to stay in the know on your journey has never been easier. News updates, live traffic reports, weather conditions and vehicle settings are available with the swipe of your finger as part of the iDrive operating system. You can customize, much like a smartphone, by choosing the applications that work best for your wants and needs. The Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster and Central Information Display compliment iDrive though easy to access navigation, entertainment and safety features. Stay aware of where the road leads with a 360-degree camera that allows you to see your surroundings from every angle. With an onsite BMW genius to assist with set up of these amazing features, utilizing all the 2020 BMW X5 has to offer has never been easier.
You only live once, so what are you waiting for? Stop by Don Jacobs BMW to take your new X5 for a spin today. You can call to schedule a test drive or click the link below to schedule. We can’t wait for you to experience the Ultimate Driving Machine.